JSS STAR Scholarship Programme
The Programme’s Philosophy:
Guided by our school’s vision of grooming our students to be Champions of Mind and Leaders with Heart, the JSS Skills, Talent and Research (STAR) Scholarship Programme is committed in providing our students the opportunity to stretch their intellectual capacity and talents in areas beyond the core curriculum and to hone their leadership skills.
The Outcomes of the JSS STAR Scholar
The programme strives to nurture students who shall be exemplary in the following aspects:
As Champions of Mind, Students of Intellectual Strength who:
· possess the disposition to think flexibly in dealing with the ambiguities of our world;
· demonstrate the ability to question critically for effective problem solving;
· communicate with confidence, clarity and precision in qualifying their viewpoints;
· evaluate the productiveness of their own thinking and strategies.
and are students of Resilience who:
· possess the mental stamina to overcome challenges and adversities;
· employ a range of alternative strategies for problem solving.
As Leaders with Heart, students of Service who:
· devote their hearts, minds and talents in ways that enrich the lives of others;
· show respect for all life and embrace diversity;
· and apply their personal and inter-personal leadership competencies and passion to exert positive influence.
The Value of Design Thinking & Research:
Developing a design thinking mindset and research awareness amongst students is significant to their growth and maturity as it:
- facilitates learning beyond the classroom & provides a meaningful platform to apply and synthesize knowledge gained;
- encourages empathy in understanding the needs of others when developing ideas and solutions;
- broadens perspectives of students with guidance by teacher mentors;
- raises confidence to communicate projects clearly & effectively;
- cultivates good team dynamics to equip students with the right attitudes and social skills for the future.
Each JSS STAR Scholar will be able to participate in selected workshops, learning journeys, conferences and seminars that are fully subsidised by the schoolin order to further their development.
In addition, the school will provide full subsidy for scholars’ participation in approved academic competitions and training fees incurred for the year. As part of the terms, the Overseas Immersion Programme in Year 3 will be heavily subsidised by the school with co-payment by the scholar via their Edusave accounts.
Continued enrolment in the programme and disbursement of the terms will be renewed biannually. It is subjected to satisfactory performance in the STAR Programme and in the academic results of each scholar. Should the scholar’s performance or conduct not be satisfactory, the school reserves the right to withdraw the scholar from the programme or suspend the terms at any time.
Phase ISecondary One students with a keen interest in the Programme and who are assessed to be able to cope extremely well with the demands of secondary education (i.e. top students of the cohort based on their performance in the PSLE) will be identified for the Selection Process for our STAR Scholarship Programme. He/ she will be invited to put up a personal statement, following which he/ she may be called up for a panel interview. The selection exercise for this group of students will commence in Term 1.
Secondary One and Two students who are keen in the Programme and who are assessed to be able to adjust extremely well to the demands of secondary education (i.e. top students of the cohort in their performance at the school’s Secondary 2 end-of-year examination) will be identified for the Selection Process for our STAR Scholarship Programme selection process that will commence at the end of Secondary 2, the process as indicated above in Phase I.